Thread: Accidently Knocked Something "Out-Of-Square"

Default Accidently Knocked Something "Out-Of-Square"

I've been running my PRT120 for almost 3 years using Artcam Pro and AutoCad. Didn't have my endmill high enough and ran it into the edge of my material while attemptiing to jog home after a cutter change. After 6 hours of clearing, cutting, vcarving etc., all I have left to do is cut out these two parts and I have a serious alignment problem. From the home position, the cutting program seems to begin in the right place at the far end of the Y axis (let's say X,0,Y,48). However, upon arrival at the Y,0 position, X has become out of alignment by .1875. I checked for squareness, disconnected the control cables to check for binding and everything seem okay. Has anyone got another idea of what I might have disrupted?

Bill you have "racked" the Y carrage. One of the ends is .1875 further along the X axis than the other end. You may be able to fix it by disconnecting both X motors and pushing/pulling the Y carrage up and down the X axis. If that does not fix the problem just give the end that is further down the X axis a bump (2X4 and big hammer) to knock it back into position. Or clamp a stop block to the X Rail touching the Y carrage, disconnect the X motor at that end and tell the carrage to move about .2 - .22 past that point. It may take multiple tries or larger displacements with either method to dial it in. Reset Home after these adjustments. Have fun.

Guy

Guy, thanks for your response. I definetly have to realign the carriage. My only concern is that when I checked it with a square it is right on. Maybe since framing squares are so reliable, it will be just as square after the adjustment. That will be tomorrow's job. Thanks again.